- Grit: The lower the grit, the rougher the file. 100 grit is good for shaping acrylics, but 240 grit is good for shaping the natural nail. 180 is the lowest you’d want to go for the natural nail. The 180 grit file from EzFlow is called Grey Fox.
- The Rough Remover by Mambo is usually used to buff the nail before gel polish, or to smooth off acrylic. However I’ve found it really useful to smooth off my nails and push together the layers of keratin to prevent delamination. Natural nail buffers (with the four sides) don’t handle the edges of nails very well, so I find these other buffers a happy medium.
- I buy my files here: http://www.head2toebeauty.com/nail_buffers_files/nbf.htm
- Sorry about the crappy video quality. I’m hoping that in two-three months there will be a dramatic improvement!
- My almond here isn’t that pointy, but it would have messed up my oval nails if I had made them more so.
- Sawing/going both ways. I’m kind of anticipating a bit of backlash about me showing this as an option… hopefully I’m wrong! Since this is my own video I’m quite happy to say/show that I DO "saw" my nails and my nails are REALLY healthy. And long. And strong. I’ve done 20 hours of gardening and wood-moving this week and they’re still perfecto.
- Yes, I’m qualified, and was told in my training that going back and forth is okay - if the file is the right grit! I know that training does vary and that there are different rules for different countries, but this works for me.
- Remember to take a step back when you’re shaping your nails and check they’re looking even.
Subscribe & thumbs up to see more videos like this!
The blog post for this design is here: (coming soon)
How to grow long nails: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAEBT2mc2Jc&list=UUI_azGYuavCbOMNpNOo5MvQ
I buy my nail art brushes here: http://tinyurl.com/ktrvcsn
My dotting tools here: http://tinyurl.com/k22uqga
And the stainless steel palette I always use is here: http://tinyurl.com/qd582rp
Learn how to use your nail art brushes, and how to cut them down here: http://tinyurl.com/mq5zr26
Where can you find me?
We Heart It: http://weheartit.com/naileditnz
Twitter: https://twitter.com/naileditnz (@naileditnz)
Instagram: http://instagram.com/naileditnz (@naileditnz)
Music: West - Silent Partner (YouTube Audio Library)
Contact email for business and appointments (I’m a qualified nail tech): firstname.lastname@example.org